The Santa Monica City Attorney’s Office seeks a mid-level attorney with civil litigation experience to serve as a Deputy City Attorney in its Litigation Unit. The attorney will defend the City and its employees primarily in civil actions in state court alleging personal injuries and seeking damages.The successful applicant will have a combination of required and preferred qualifications, including high ethical standards and effective litigation skills.
- Sound judgment and high ethical standards.
- Strong communication, advocacy, and legal research skills.
- Substantial civil litigation experience.
- Ability to work collegially with colleagues and clients.
- License to practice law in the State of California and familiarity with the California Code of Civil Procedure.
- Extensive experience litigating transportation, bus and/or automobile cases.
- Pre-trial, trial and/or appellate experience in state court.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the public interest.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample of no more than ten pages, and the names of three references (will not be contacted prior to interview). These materials should be submitted in a single pdf document by email to [email protected] with the subject line: “Application – DCA, Litigation Unit.” Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply by close of business on Monday, March 14, 2023, when consideration of applicants will begin. The position is open until filled.
Unit and work assignments of Deputy City Attorneys are subject to change based on the needs and workload of the City Attorney’s Office overall. A background check will be required prior to beginning employment. Salary is dependent on qualifications and experience, excellent benefits. Salary range is Deputy City Attorney I – $105,360 to $117,060, Deputy City Attorney II – $131,400 to $162,216 to Deputy City Attorney III $203,556 to $251,304. Equal Opportunity Employer. See the EEO Policy on the City Attorney’s Office website.
To apply for this job please visit www.santamonica.gov.