Michigan Supreme Court Salary Range: $99,944.00-$132,891.20
The Michigan Supreme Court is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Deputy General Counsel. Reporting to the General Counsel, this position performs legal research and analysis, communicates between the Court/SCAO and members of the state legislature and assists with providing legal analysis and counsel to various court stakeholders, such as the Justices of the Michigan Supreme Court, executives and staff of the State Court Administrative Office, and trial courts. Essential duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist the Supreme Court General Counsel with legislative work, including, but not limited to: monitor legislation affecting the judiciary; work in conjunction with SCAO staff to analyze legislation; review and prioritize legislative work; conduct research and follow up on legislative work; respond to calls from legislators and legislative staff on a variety of issues that may require research of statutes and court rules, and provide information and assistance on areas of mutual concern to the Court and legislature. Assist in the preparation and presentation of the annual budget to the Legislature and Executive Office. Coordinate and communicate with legislative appropriations staff and members to explain the services and needs of the judiciary.
- Analyze and develop policy initiatives and make recommendations concerning the administration of justice, including monitoring, and analyzing legislative proposals and policy developments affecting the Court’s ability to accomplish its administrative goals and exercise its legal prerogatives.
- Communicate with judicial, legislative, and executive branch entities on behalf of the Chief Justice and the Court for the purpose of developing, advancing, explaining, defending, or implementing the Court’s goals and priorities.
- Assist in requesting and working with legal representation provided by the Attorney General’s Office on litigation.
- Assist in providing legal advice and performing legal research, analysis, and writing involving the interpretation and implementation of law and administrative policy arising from the management and administration of the trial courts and/or State Court Administrative Office.
- Assist with legal resolution of sensitive, complex, or precedent-setting situations; determine appropriate course of action; take or assign responsibilities; and monitor actions and responses.
- Review and draft contracts, as needed, to ensure they comply with all applicable rules, statutes, policies, procedures, and are properly executed.
- Provide legal advice and perform legal research, analysis, and writing involving the interpretation and implementation of employment law and administrative policies concerning employment matters.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited law school with a minimum of three years practicing law, with legislative experience highly preferred.
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITY: Candidates must have excellent research and analytical skills as well as knowledge of government operations including legislative processes and procedures. The position requires exceptional decision- making skills, sound judgment, and the ability to operate in a fast-paced environment while meeting strict deadlines.
LICENSING / PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION:
Active membership with the State Bar of Michigan.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Occasional in-state travel may be required. Frequent meetings in multiple locations in and around Lansing.
WORK LOCATION: Official work-site location is the Hall of Justice. Remote work may be available in accordance with the MSC/SCAO Remote Work Policy.
TO APPLY: Please e-mail your cover letter, writing sample, and resume in Word or Adobe.pdf format to [email protected] and include “Deputy General Counsel” in the subject line. If you are unable to e-mail applicant materials, please contact Judicial Human Resources at 517-373-1147 for assistance.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org