The Research Division of the Michigan Court of Appeals (COA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Research Supervisor. The Research Supervisor will direct the work activities of senior research attorneys, limited-term research attorneys, and support staff employed by the Michigan Court of Appeals; participate as a leader of the research division management team in developing and implementing strategic plans to achieve COA division goals; and review and edit the research reports and proposed opinions prepared by staff attorneys to ensure production of research reports and proposed opinions at the quality standards set forth in the research manual. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- In consultation with division leader, develop staff objectives based on the Court of Appeals division plan.
- Lead a research office staff, which includes determining human resource needs, recruiting highly qualified staff, determining staff development needs, and providing development resources, recognition, discipline, and compensation recommendations.
- Develop concise performance communication plans (PCPs) for senior research attorneys and support staff. Meet with staff regarding plans at an appropriate frequency and document those meetings.
- Review and edit the research reports and proposed opinions prepared by the senior research attorneys and research attorneys for problems with formatting, clarity in writing, factual errors or ambiguities, presentation, organization and legal reasoning. Ensure that the research reports and proposed opinions adhere to applicable rules and conventions prescribed in the research manual and the Michigan Appellate Opinion Manual.
- Ensure that research reports and proposed opinions are uploaded and available to case call panels in a timely manner.
- Supervise the workload distribution and workload activities of the research office staff, including generating and reviewing management and activity lists, to ensure that the office is achieving division plans.
- Interview and select applicants recruited by the research director for limited-term research attorney position. Train and develop new attorneys to independently produce research reports and proposed opinions at the quality standards set forth in the research manual. Meet with research attorneys regarding performance at an appropriate frequency and document those meetings.
- Direct and supervise the assignments of special research projects, Public Service Commission appeals, and remands from the Michigan Supreme Court, and ensure timely completion of the reports for the judges on the panel.
- Assist the research director as requested in evaluating and responding to judicial feedback of research reports to enhance the quality of research reports and the development of research attorneys.
- Oversee the preparation of monthly statistical reports regarding production of the senior research attorneys and research attorneys for the research director.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES (IF NECESSARY)
- Screen and select law students to work as externs in the research offices, monitor the work activities by the externs, and ensure performance evaluations are written and provided to the law schools and research director.
- Serve on Court Committees and participate in conferences as requested.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited law school. Five or more years of
experience in appellate law. Three or more years in a managerial or supervisory capacity preferred.
WORK LOCATION: Cadillac Place, Detroit, MI
TO APPLY: Please send your cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format to [email protected] and include “COA Research Supervisor” in the subject line. If you are unable to send applicant materials electronically, please contact Judicial Human Resources (517) 373-1147.
To apply for this job please visit courts.mi.gov.