The Michigan Court of Appeals is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Senior Law Clerk to Judge-Appointee Philip P. Mariani. The position reports directly to the Judge. Primary responsibilities include:
- Assist the Judge in the hiring of a new law clerk or judicial/legal assistant, train and oversee the law clerk’s workload, and serve as a mentor to the law clerk. Also supervise externs/interns, including review and editing of work product, approval of time/attendance, and preparation of law school evaluations. Provide employment references.
- Engage in discussions with the Judge about the merits of the cases and provide advice on legal issues, recommended outcomes for individual issues, and disposition of appeals. This duty includes reading appellate briefs and research division reports for cases assigned to the Judge’s monthly case calls, reviewing lower court records, and conducting electronic research on the Court’s database, online and print research, and (as necessary) off-site library research.
- Review, analyze, proof, cite check, and, as necessary, revise or rewrite proposed opinions received from the research division before circulation to other judges on the case call panels. This duty includes verifying the accuracy of quotations and citations in the proposed opinions.
- Prepare bench memoranda in advance of oral argument for cases assigned directly to the Judge in lieu of a research report from the research division. This duty includes reviewing the briefs and arguments advanced by the parties, reviewing the lower court record and summarizing important facts and arguments, conducting legal research and reviewing caselaw, providing a legal analysis of each issue raised by the briefs, drafting and editing the memoranda, and discussing the memoranda with the Judge before circulation to the judges on the case call panel.
- Under the direction of the Judge, prepare draft opinions for cases where a proposed opinion is not provided by the research division, for cases remanded from the Michigan Supreme Court, and for cases where the panel remanded the matter to the lower court and retained jurisdiction and the remand is concluded. Also, under the direction of the judge, prepare draft concurrences and draft dissents and occasionally prepare draft orders for matters on the Judge’s motion docket.
- Assist the Judge in reviewing proposed opinions from other judges on a case call panel and on a motion docket panel.
- Ensure compliance/consistency of all circulated and finalized opinions with the Michigan Supreme Court Opinion Manual.
- Review editorial suggestions and proposed syllabi and headnotes from the Reporter of Decisions for published opinions. Modify opinions, syllabi, and headnotes, as necessary, to conform to judicially approved editorial revisions for transmission back to the Reporter of Decisions.
- Review/stay apprised of recent published decisions of the Michigan Court of Appeals, Michigan Supreme Court, and United States Supreme Court and of revisions to statutes and court rules.
- Perform administrative duties as assigned by the judge. Also, at the Judge’s discretion, approve time and attendance of the law clerk or judicial/legal assistant.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited law school. At least one year of experience involving significant legal research and writing. Experience with the Court or other judicial forum may be preferred by the hiring judge.
WORK LOCATION: Hall of Justice, Lansing, MI. Remote work may be available in accordance with the COA Remote Work Policy.
TO APPLY: Please send your cover letter, resume, and writing sample to [email protected] and include “Judge-Appointee Mariani Senior Law Clerk” in the subject line. If you are unable to e-mail applicant materials electronically, please contact Judicial Human Resources (517) 373-1147 for assistance.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org