Our Tenants’ Rights Practice works to stop displacement and stabilize our communities through eviction defense, drop-in legal clinics, affirmative litigation, administrative hearings before rent boards, know- your-rights presentations and an array of community outreach, and policy initiatives. We are seeking an experienced attorney to provide leadership and innovation for our team of Tenants’ Rights advocates.
- Directly representing low-income tenants in unlawful detainer trials and appeals;
- Directly representing low-income tenants in administrative hearings;
- Supervising and/or providing consultations at bi-weekly drop-in clinics;
- Providing Know Your Rights presentations to community-based organizations; and
- Representing Centro Legal de la Raza and its clients at community events, stakeholder meetings,
City Council hearings, etc.
The applicant must profoundly share Centro Legal’s mission and vision of racial, economic and social justice. Qualifications include:
- J.D; admitted and in good standing with the California bar;
- Fluency in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, or Vietnamese preferred, but not required;
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in housing law or public interest litigation;
- Knowledge and adherence to community lawyering principles;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Excellent writing, research, analytical, and verbal communication skills;
- A demonstrated commitment to civil liberties, tenants’ rights, and public interest law;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity within the office and a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences regarding race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, socio-economic circumstance, immigration status, and record of arrest or conviction;
- Familiarity in working with clients in crisis or who are trauma survivors;
- Willingness to conduct training and outreach activities in the community as needed;
- Experience working with Bay Area law firms is desired but not required; and
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively on projects with lawyers, other staff members across organization, and diverse community organizations, stakeholders and policymakers.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. We provide a generous benefits package, including life insurance, LTD, leave policies, vacation, and December holiday office closure at full pay.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Submit via email only: 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) a list of three professional references. Include “Tenants’ Rights Staff Attorney (Clinics)” in the subject line. Please email application materials directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
About Centro Legal de la Raza
Founded in 1969 and headquartered in Oakland, California, Centro Legal de la Raza (Centro Legal) is a comprehensive legal services and advocacy organization protecting and advancing the rights of immigrant, low-income, and Latino communities through bilingual representation, education, and advocacy. We combine quality legal services with know-your-rights education, affirmative litigation, and youth development, ensuring access to justice for thousands of individuals and families each year throughout Northern and Central California.
For more information, visit our website: https://centrolegal.org/
To apply for this job please visit centrolegal.org.