Are you a bold leader looking for the opportunity to work with an active, supportive team to build out a tenants advocacy practice? Our Tenants’ Rights Practice works to stop displacement and stabilize our communities through eviction defense, drop-in legal clinics, affirmative litigation, administrative hearings before rent boards, know-your-rights presentations and an array of community outreach, and policy initiatives. We are seeking an experienced attorney who will bring leadership, humility, and innovation to our team of Tenants’ Rights advocates as we launch an eviction defense practice in Contra Costa County.
- Supervise drop-in clinics and workshops in order to build power in communities, monitor trends in displacement crisis, and identify potential plaintiffs for affirmative litigation;
- Training, mentoring, and supporting the ongoing development of a diverse staff of attorneys and advocates, volunteers, and interns – including conducting performance evaluations;
- Directly representing low-income tenants in unlawful detainer trials and appeals;
- Assign and help manage supervisees’ caseloads at a rate that promotes self-care and wellbeing;
- Assist in determining appropriate case stories for use in reports, advocacy materials, and public education and providing expert testimony to media on current tenants’ rights law and policy topics;
- Collaborate with Directing Attorney to monitor, track, analyze and report data and case deliverables for projects and programs within practice;
- Presenting to and collaborating with key stakeholders on changes in law, policy and practice.
The applicant must profoundly share Centro Legal’s mission and vision of racial, economic and social justice. Qualifications include:
- J.D; admitted and in good standing with the California bar;
- Fluency in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, or Vietnamese preferred, but not required;
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in housing law, civil litigation, criminal defense, or similar;
- Trial experience preferred;
- Strong leadership skills and experience managing attorneys, fellows, or interns;
- Knowledge and adherence to community lawyering principles;
- Excellent writing, research, analytical, and verbal communication skills;
- A demonstrated commitment to civil liberties, housing justice, and public interest law;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity within the office and a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences regarding race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, socio-economic circumstance, immigration status, and record of arrest or conviction;
- Familiarity in working with clients in crisis or who are trauma survivors;
- Willingness to conduct training and outreach activities in the community as needed; and
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively on projects with lawyers, other staff members across organization, and diverse community organizations, stakeholders and policymakers.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. We provide a generous benefits package, including life insurance, LTD, leave policies, vacation, and December holiday office closure at full pay.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Submit via email only: 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) a list of three professional references. Include “Supervising Attorney Tenants’ Rights” in the subject line. Please email application materials directly to email@example.com.
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
About Centro Legal de la Raza
Founded in 1969 and headquartered in Oakland, California, Centro Legal de la Raza (Centro Legal) is a comprehensive legal services and advocacy organization protecting and advancing the rights of immigrant, low-income, and Latino communities through bilingual representation, education, and advocacy. We combine quality legal services with know-your-rights education, affirmative litigation, and youth development, ensuring access to justice for thousands of individuals and families each year throughout Northern and Central California.
For more information, visit our website: https://centrolegal.org/
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org